Sunday, April 15, 2018

Goals


Goal  [gohl] 
noun

  1. The result or achievement toward which effort is directed; 
  2. The destination of a journey;
  3. A point marking the end of a race.

What is our goal in this adventure?  I would suggest a few:

Goal #1:  Climb to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro.  This one is an easy goal to identify:  Uhuru Peak at 19,341'.  This is probably the easiest one as there is a very defined objective - the highest point on the mountain.  But let me ask this:  is the goal just to get to the top or is it to get to the top and back down again?  In mountain climbing, getting to the top of the mountain is only half of the climb.  It is important to consider your goals carefully when identifying them.

Goal #2:  Get in shape.  This one is really a sub-goal for Goal #1 as we will be required to be in excellent physical condition to climb to the summit of the tallest mountain on the continent of Africa.  Getting in shape is a longer journey for some of us than others.  Sitting in an office all day does not promote good conditioning and I started just after the first of the year exercising, walking, hiking and developing my cardio capacity.  Last summer I took a hike with Debbie in which I thought I wasn't going to make it - I literally had to stop every 50 yards to bend over and breathe.  It was obvious I was badly out of shape.  After 3 months of working out, we recently took the same hike and I was able to handle the climb without any problem.  I realize that hike was far different than Kilimanjaro, but it is an indication that my conditioning is having results.  Having the goal of climbing the mountain gives me purpose to getting up early and hitting the elliptical or going for a long walk in the rain when I'd really rather stay warm & dry.

Goal #3:  Raise enough money to fund the project.  The purpose that brings us to this great physical challenge of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro is to raise money to fund the project to install computer labs in schools in Uganda enhancing the educational and leadership development potential for the children served by ARM programs.  We are also climbing to find new sponsors for children in Uganda who are in the greatest need.  We have set some very clear goals in terms of dollars and number of children to sponsor.

Let me just pause for a moment to ask you to consider what might be the goals for the children and families in Uganda that we are working with?  Really - take some time and think seriously about it.  Maybe you can imagine, maybe you can't.  Have we ever taken the time to ask or have we just assumed?  What might be the goals for this family?


Now let me ask you to consider your own goals in life.  Maybe take a few minutes to stop and write them down.  (See Psalm 37:4-5)

In Philippians 3:14, Paul says:  "I press towards the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."  The more I think about the goal of reaching the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro, the more I can picture it.  I am expending a lot of time & effort getting in shape, raising money and dreaming about what it will be like to finally reach the summit and stand by the Uhuru Peak sign.  Paul is reminding me that my focus first, and above all, must be Jesus.

As we PRESS ON toward the call of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and helping the children in Uganda, never forget that the GOAL is the upward call.

God, I pray your Holy Spirit guide me to always want Jesus more!

"A goal without action is just a dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment